Welcome to our world of 4 boys, Autism, Homeschooling and life in general.

Hi I'm Angie, busy Homeschooling Mum of 4 young boys aged between 4 and 11 yrs.

Bailey (11) is a huge car enthusiast, particularly classic cars, VW 'Herbie' beetles and VW Combi vans. Bailey lives with Autism (ASD) and Epilepsy but does very well coping with everyday life these days since we made the change to homeschooling back in 2010.

Dane (8) enjoys playing guitar, building Lego masterpieces and all things superhero! Dane also lives with a form of Autism (Aspergers) and a Language developmental delay (Apraxia of speech).


Ehren (5) is our gentle 'giant' and is a keen student in our Homeschool classroom. He enjoys both physical and mental pursuits and has a clear interest in currency!


Fraser (aged 4) is our little pocket rocket. He's a confident, head-strong little boy who never stops talking, singing or dancing!

Follow us on our journey as we learn about the world around us in our own unique way!


Wednesday, April 25, 2012

INCIDENTAL LEARNING

Today whilst doing schoolwork with the boys I came to realising just how much incidental learning is going on in our household. Some days I am teaching Bailey a new Maths concept or a new spelling tip and Dane is listening in on the background, only to come out with the information weeks later. Other days I think Dane is learning a new topic and Ehren sits in and seems to be taking in as much as he can as well. It's really quite incredible to think how much they are picking up that I am not going out of my way to teach them!

Today is a classic example. I was teaching Dane about halves and quarters (something that Bailey has only just mastered mind you) and then Ehren asked me for his schoolwork. So I palmed him off the ABC flipchart I had just been using with Dane for his phonics work. Ehren starts flipping over and saying a for apple, c for car, pronouncing the phonic sounds! I swear my head almost spun right around, he's not even 3 yet!!

Then to top it off Fraser is sitting in his highchair beside us and I asked Ehren how many cars there on the table? Fraser (who is 20 mths old may I remind you) starts counting 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9!! He missed a 6 but seriously I can't believe he is counting!! When did this all happen?

I don't really need anyone to remind me these days just how much Homeschooling is working for my big boys. At 8 and 6 yrs old Bailey & Dane are both bright, highly motivated learners. I guess I just really underestimated the positive impact it would have on the two little boys. They certainly don't need to Kindy with the amount of mental stimulation and play they get here at home and they definitely have a lot more friends than my other boys had at ages 1 and 2. Homeschooling works for us, all round :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi

    I have awarded you the “Versatile Blogger Award”.

    http://learning-alongside.com/versatile-blogger-award

    Smiles,
    April

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of my favorite things about homeschooling...math isn't learning in second grade...it's learned IN LIFE! LOL
    Sharing information with everyone, regardless of age, love it!

    http://taytayhser.blogspot.com/

    Peace, Karen

    ReplyDelete