Welcome to our world of 4 boys, Autism, Homeschooling and life in general.

Hi I'm Angie, busy Homeschooling Mum of 4 young boys aged between 4 and 11 yrs.

Bailey (11) is a huge car enthusiast, particularly classic cars, VW 'Herbie' beetles and VW Combi vans. Bailey lives with Autism (ASD) and Epilepsy but does very well coping with everyday life these days since we made the change to homeschooling back in 2010.

Dane (8) enjoys playing guitar, building Lego masterpieces and all things superhero! Dane also lives with a form of Autism (Aspergers) and a Language developmental delay (Apraxia of speech).


Ehren (5) is our gentle 'giant' and is a keen student in our Homeschool classroom. He enjoys both physical and mental pursuits and has a clear interest in currency!


Fraser (aged 4) is our little pocket rocket. He's a confident, head-strong little boy who never stops talking, singing or dancing!

Follow us on our journey as we learn about the world around us in our own unique way!


Sunday, December 18, 2011

THE YEAR THAT WAS 2011.

What a year 2011 has been. It's the first year in the last 3 that I haven't had a baby but strangely it has been one of the most fulfilling. I have felt this year more than ever like a brilliant new butterfly emerging from it's cocoon. For the first time in probably my whole life I feel like I have a perfect balance between being there for family and friends but also making sure I make time for myself.

I've made many new wonderful friends this year, the kind of friends some people search for their whole lives and still never find. I'm also very lucky to have made contact with old friends this year too. I've had such little time these last few years that I hadn't had a chance to see my close friends nearly often enough. Those of you reading this will know who you are. I thank you for your love, support, friendship, company and excitement.

I made a pact with myself this year that once I was fully recovered from my Hysterectomy I would take better care of myself. It's not that I've lived a ridiculously unhealthy life before but just I'd lost touch with the old Angie, the one who loved exercise, being in the sunshine outdoors and eating really good, fresh, healthy food. It wasn't a new years resolution, it was a promise to myself to ensure I had the energy to live a full life with my children, husband, family and friends.

After recovering, around February I embarked on this mission. Now almost a year later I am down 3 dress sizes and feeling fit and fabulous. I didn't need to join a gym or a weight loss program, I just needed to get my zest back for life. I haven't felt this good since I fell pregnant with Bailey 9 years ago.

This year I decided to officially homeschool the second of our boys, Dane. He was due for Prep, but I decided not to send him and see how we went at home. I probably would've gone crazy if it wasn't for meeting a local Homeschooling group for regular playdates, learning days, sports and excursions. The boys have all made some great friends with other homeschooling families. It's so nice to see them so happy to see all their friends each and every week. Dane has come a long way since schooling at home. He has just started to read basic early readers and is increasingly impressing me with his writing, which is almost as neat as his brother. Bailey has mastered addition and subtraction, his spelling has improved dramatically and is counting money with very little assistance. He's also come a lot more out of his shell this year. He's better able to manage stressful situations without totally falling apart and even tries to push himself out of his comfort zone from time to time.

Ehren has been talking up a storm this year. It's so nice to know he won't be needing speech therapy like his two older brothers. At 2 1/2 yrs he doesn't seem to have any developmental delays and is constantly surprising me with his conversational skills. He's a real gem to have in the family, always using his manners and thinking about his other family members.

Fraser turned one this year. He has started walking, talking and voicing his very strong opinion on things. He is very outgoing and seems to strive to keep up with his big brothers. Out of all the boys he's probably the one with the personality most like my own. Even though I know that means he'll be high energy and a chatterbox I'm happy to know he'll be full of life and character!

I'm very lucky to have this wonderful life. I'm so happy that I married a man that I'm in total love with and who loves me regardless of my faults. He amazes me all the time with how well he copes with four children in the house, let alone two born so close together.

So after such a great year how on Earth will I top it next year? Well, I have some crazy ideas rolling around in my head. I have a few friends turning 40 in 2012 and we have some big plans to celebrate, perhaps even involving a sky-dive! I'm sure you'll all be the first to hear about it ;)

Thanks for reading in 2011
Stay tuned for 2012

2 comments:

  1. And what a great year it has been. :-)

    Looking forward to what's in store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous 2011. You look great Ange and its been lovely to share in this journey with you
    xx

    ReplyDelete